There are times when you will want to replace an old file with a new file, particularly PDFs of handbooks, tuition schedules and forms. It's easy to replace a file in WordPress to keep our media gallery tidy and devoid of multiple copies of the same documents.
Steps to Replace a File
- Login to the your Campbell University website's Dashboard (same URL you use to edit your web pages).
- Click the Media > Library. You will see all of the media gallery files.
- Search for the file(s) you would like to replace by using the search field or selecting a related category.Example below shows search results for "handbook" search term
- Once you find the desired file, click the thumbnail image of the file. An "Attachment Details" window will open.
- Scroll down the window until you see "Replace Media", and click the "Upload a new file" button.
- Click "Choose File" to upload the new file from your computer.
- Next select the radio button to:
- Replace the file, use new file name, and update all links. (preferred method)If you check this option, the name and type of the file you are about to upload will replace the old file. All links pointing to the current file (current file name will be here) will be updated to point to the new file name.
Click the "Upload" button. The Edit Media view will appear.
Be sure to check any categories that relate to the file, then click the "Update" button.
Most of the links should be updated; however, some buttons may not update. Now's a good time to check them.